The Casey Jones Program
That’s right. Train tickets for $0!
Capitol Corridor offers aggressive discounts to increase ridership on what is primarily a commuter train route. The best program is called “Take 5”. If one person pays full fare she can take up to 5 friends for $5 each. Another similar program called “Friends & Family” allows up to 5 friends to pay half price.
At the February board meeting a proposal to have the club pay for discounted train tickets was presented and unanimously approved.
Capitol Corridor offers access to 18 different train stations from Auburn to San Jose with plenty of great cycling opportunities. For example, in July you could escape the Central Valley heat with a temperate ride in the Bay Area or the Berkeley Hills. Or you could take a connecting Amtrak bus to the San Francisco Ferry building providing access by ferry (fare not included) to Marin. Or in the Spring, when we typically get strong north winds you could enjoy riding to Suisun with a big tail wind and take the train back home.
How it works:
- A minimum of 5 days before the proposed ride the ride leader emails the program coordinator and states the origin and destination of each train trip of the planned ride. For example, a ride from Hayward to Martinez would require tickets from Davis to Hayward and then from Martinez back home to Davis.
- Within 24 hours the program coordinator will reply to the ride leader with the number of eligible participants based on the available money and the ticket price.
- A minimum of 3 days before the ride, the ride leader will announce the trip on the DBC listserv. The announcement will include the number of free train tickets available and a deadline for signing up. Free tickets will be provided on a first come, first serve basis.
- A minimum of 2 days before the ride, the ride leader will provide the program coordinator with a list of people who have signed up. The coordinator will then purchase the tickets and email them to the ride leader.
- Program participants must be Davis Bike Club members.
- To qualify, a ride must have at least 4 participants.
- Only the best discount offered by Capitol Corridor will be eligible.
- The first to sign up for available slots will get free train tickets. Others are welcome to join the ride but their train tickets will not be subsidized by the club.
- If more people sign up than tickets are available the ride leader will create a waiting list.
- If the ride leader purchases a ticket for a participant and that ticket does not get used, the person who failed to show up will be prohibited from participating in the program for 6 months.
- The program coordinator is currently John Swann, email@example.com
- Capitol Corridor currently offers “Take 5” which is only available on the weekends and through the month of March.
- Starting in April, the “Friends and Family” program will be the best discount and will be available 7 days a week.